Wednesday 30 May 2012

My first real skate class

skates AND a gun, thats TWO dangerouses

Last night was ‘adult skate class’. Second to my experience in munchkinland on Saturday, I noticed a more suitable slot for my significantly larger and less bendy frame so my friend, my partner and stepdaughter and I went along. Doesn't help that we were running late and I had already broken a sweat before we were on the rink due to rushnerves! My partner being the supportchampion he is said he was making his roller skating debut that night also. I hurried into my skates, then stood up and WHAT? I had forgotten everything I’d done the other day, for fucks sake it had been 3 days! I looked up at the class and saw an all women group, with just- past- ginger skaters. Their ringleader – a beautiful tattooed woman with a giant voice and an even bigger laugh. She glided gracefully over to where we were sitting and very loudly made a joke about us being late, followed by a happy hearty laugh. Phew. So happy to see a freak like me was taking the class. I was immediately more at ease.

We started with gliding out on one leg, then a T Stop, though at this stage my legs weren’t cooperating so I spent most of my time on the wall. The class then ran through front scissor rolls, roll and get low, skate while tossing a ball in the air, skating round markers, and through markers whilst bouncing the ball.

I couldn’t decide if it was going too fast, I was too slow, or if I was being wimpy. I’d wager it was the latter. Our tattooed ringleader was brilliant, she encouraged me and gave good clear directions and generally was awesome. I finished the class disappointed with myself that I didn’t just have a crack at more of the class. I avow to kicketh more ass next Tuesday.

An absolute jewel she gave me, she noticed my arms would flail and stopped me from doing it by holding a ball and skating, and BAM 100% more stable. It was like roller skating made perfect sense afterward.

In the end I left the class more perplexed with skating than when I entered, though I think this had more to do with this delusion I had about it somehow clicking and doing 360's in the air by the end of the class. Reality, as always, is a cruel cruel mistress.

No comments:

Post a Comment