Wednesday 30 May 2012

IT'S NOT GOING TO KILL ME, I'VE FALLEN BEFORE AND SURVIVED

So I've had my skates 2 weeks now and I'm making steady improvement it seems. My delusions of grandeur involving 5:30 mornings have died in the proverbial so far, but the good intention is still there. 

My improvement is heavily tied to my fear factor, which is permanently fixed to I'm-going-to-surely-die-in-T-minus-2-seconds. I've developed a method of coping which is repeating the mantra: eyes forward, stay low, relax. I've found that by forcing my stance and legs and feet to relax has helped dramatically every time. It's so bizarre that as an adult, I find I'm consciously having to remind me of what was a given as a child. IT'S NOT GOING TO KILL ME, I'VE FALLEN BEFORE AND SURVIVED. Aah to have the child-like wonder of not having fallen much before. I can't wait to get to the part where its subconscious and I can focus on funner (it's a word, nerd) things; such as how to remain upright after smashing someone.

I've been getting to know my skates and a love affair has begun. Obsessive much? Adjusting, checking, preening, changes to my wheels - theres so much to do! 

Best things I've learned:

1. Keep your trucks loose, if they're too tight you're workin' too hard
2. Loosen your wheels for road skating, tighter for rink skating
3. Set yourself one primary goal for each session, and don't make excuses for yourself!
4. Get road wheels and skate on a solid footpath/basketball court/flat surface. The better you get at rough terrain, the easier it gets in a rink. (In fact a rink seems luxurious, like showering after you've been camping)
5. Watch a lot of derby - pick out the most useful and frequently used skill and become a pro at it. Given my current level of skating and wimp issues I've fittingly picked falls and getting back up quickly/safely.
6. Lead with your boobs. For reals, it works. Turn your boobs and point them where you wish to go. 

Ultimately, I'm getting there, though mostly I think I've become more accustomed to the idea of occasionally eating shit, it's my new thing this falling over business. As a result can push that thought back a little further in the buzzsaw that is my inner monologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment