Wednesday 1 August 2012

The league of extraordinary ungentlepeople

i wish i looked like this on the first day of school.
As you might have guessed I've been doing all this falling over and getting up and trying again with the intention of joining a roller derby league. Finally I went to meet n greet with the unruly freshmeat (and new derby comrades). Like any first day of school, I packed my bag with all my new things, made my hair less birdsnest-like and tried wear my look of nonchalance. The truth is, I had been waiting for this day for months and could barely contain my excitement.

And like any first day at school I stood around trying to look the least awkward and smiling at those I met eyes with. Brain go: fuck, I can't believe I'm 29 and still wondering if the cool kids want to play with me! Mouth go: Hi, how are you? (It should be noted that I am generally far more awkward than the situation requires.) Fortunately the awkwardness was short-lived, as a raven-haired smile gathered all the shoegazers into a circle and broke the ice with friendly questions. I was relieved for it, and stole glances at all my new comrades.

An unsuspecting bunch it seems.

I don't know what I expected, so it both was and wasn't, I guess. Everyone was bright and lovely, and each completely different to the next. I guess in the world I walk around in a lot of women (and men) seem very 'samey'. Same fashion, same ideas, same accessories, same life.  Everyone in our group stood out from one another. A giant rainbow. Mothers, students, freaks, nerds, tomboys, rollerbladers-come-derbyers, layman's, experienced freshies. It was nice : ) As with many other social events, I find myself drawn to that endearing person who unabashedly announces how awkward the situation is. Today was no different, as I found myself next to that girl. I duly noted when she pulled her skates out later that she, like me, had mismatched laces and well, any person that has the presence of mind to see mismatched things as an improvement, and says endearing things; gains an instant friend in me.

Enough divergence. We got a little handbook that I might have read 5 times now. All the basics of being freshmeat, the league's expectations and the process of progressing. After a few talks from the veterans and coach, housekeeping info etc we were allowed to leave, readied with details for a following week's start. As this all happened, skaters arrived to start training after, which totally stole my attention. Hell freakin' yeah I wanna watch them train! I parked up beside my new friend and excitedly watched them warm up. The most encouraging and intriguing thing I've noticed is how everyone's body (being different) moved when then they skate. A good example was watching tall girls vs shorter girls. The compact neat movements of the shorter skaters compared to the long loping grace of the taller girls. It's all of benefit in some way or another in derby. It's so different to volleyball where your best asset was your height, second even to skill, unfortunately.

The recent freshmeat graduates started this drill which I could only describe as a smash 'em derby. A huge pack of skaters, all trying to knock eachother out of bounds. Holy shit it looked like so much fun. By this point we were sitting with the raven-haired smile and her friend, a seasoned skater who looked to be lethal on the track. They pointed out an experienced skater who hung at the front of the pack and watched, seemingly waiting for the bulk to pick eachother off. Clever. Then, as one of the remaining few skated around her she sped up and hit her hard with the shoulder. Completely levelled her.

On the other track the men skated. Again, so different to watch skate. The hits they were taking, and the speed they were travelling at was awe-worthy. One of the veteran skaters moved in and out of the pack like he was floating. I don't know I'd ever seen skating look so natural. I can't wait to get to the part where my skating looks even partly that fluid! I still look like a Mack truck taking off at the lights! Ha.

Overall, it was everything I'd hoped for and more. It was finally real, and not something I read on the internet :) I'm super psyched for my first training, and despite my secret terror, think I can do this derby business if I focus and listen and practice. I'm fuckin in!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS!!

    I just started my own practices where I live, and its pretty intimidating at first. You're right though, we got this as long as we put in the time!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete