Sunday 30 June 2013

Ballet dancers are good at transitioning


One imposition my weight seems to create is on my knees. I'm dreadfully knock-kneed and I did kinda stress over that in the beginning wondering if that meant I could skate but then I read a heartwarming article from Bonnie D.Stroir and it turns out shes knock kneed too, and well, she totally slays so there's hope in them there hills.

We attempted turning to face behind us for the first time which meant I had to basically demi plie. Given my ballet experience extends as far as Centre Stage and Black Swan, you can imagine what I looked like.

Anyway, it goes a lil something like this:

  • Skate forward with your feet parallel
  • Take a slight step forward with your right foot
  • Turning your upper body left to face your behind you , turn your left foot back 180 into plie
  • Pick up your right foot and bring it round parallel your left

This is made easier by keeping your knees bent, chin up instead of on your feet and really focussing on turning your boobs - your feet will follow even if you are feeling freaked about it. I've practiced it a bunch of times and it's still sloppy and heavy footed at best. This is largely driven by a complete lack of flexibilty on my part. Hence part of my daily routine now will be stretching, particularly my hip flexors and back. The more limber I am from the top down the less strain my knees will cop. That's my theory anyway. 

Happy skating :)

P.s another great resource for incurably knock kneed can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment